The history of Chittagong Port can be traced back to the 4th century BC. During the 9th-15th century AD, Chittagong was known as ‘SHETGANG’ to earlyEuropean mariners. In the 16th century, Portuguese sailors took great interest in the locality around Chittagong which was then popularly known as ‘PORTE GRANDE’. The port was established at its present location in 1887. By 1910, four jetties were constructed to handle 0.5 million tons of cargo annually. Since then the port has grown gradually to its present shape.